Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stayin'. Strong and saying NO

(I apologise now for any spelling mistakes as I typed this on my iPad...and well we all know what autocorrect can dao...also its a bit of a rant post so my apologies again for that too.....just need to vent a little)

We all know the old saying "no means no!" it's drummed into us from day dot.....and yet it seems that it is sometimes lost on people.

I tell my kids constantly that when they are told no that's it...it means no; so what ever they are doing or asking or saying, they must stop. Now my kids are far from perfect so they like to push the point with me all the time! However I have never heard them push it with another adult. If anyone else says no to them they "suck it up" and deal with it. No arguments and no questioning.

At the moment I am getting hassled by a five year old at my childrens school. She wants my daughter to go to her house for a "playdate" Now I don't do playdates. It's a personal choice from that protective mummy that I introduced you to the other day. Anyway the reason that I am bringing this up is that this little girl, this rather annoying, no manners kind of child will just not take no for an answer. It's getting to the point that I think I am going to have to be blatantly rude to her to get her to understand. The worst part of it all is that her mum is constantly in the vicinity when she is asking and I am saying no....and yet she doesn't say anything to her. She doesn't react at all, doesn't pull her up with her manners or remind her that five year olds don't get to TELL adults what they have to do. If it was my daughter behaving like that I would be appalled....she wouldn't be able to speak like that to another adult....heck she wouldn't be allowed to speak to me like that.

While I am completely aware that I just sound horrid and like I must be the ice queen of mothers, it's just driving me insane and I really just have to get it off my chest. So I am sure that theres going to be many more days of gritting teeth and saying no, maybe by the end of it all she might know that no means no.

No comments:

Post a Comment